SCREEN-L Archives

August 2004, Week 3

From:
Rachel Key <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 17 Aug 2004 14:50:43 -0700
Call For Papers

WAR IN FILM, TV, AND HISTORY

November 11-14, 2004

www.filmandhistory.org

Area CFP: The Vietnam Conflict

UPDATE: New Proposal Deadline Date – 15 September 2004

With the release of We Were Soldiers in 2002, the conversation surrounding the genre of the Vietnam War film gained new life. Was this a more accurate portrayal of the Vietnam War soldier, or had Hollywood "prettied up" the war? Could veterans of the war feel that a film finally captured the experience, or does the film simply employ a different stereotype than its predecessors? How do the images of soldiers and officers in Vietnam War films still influence American opinion about the Vietnam War and even the current conflict in Iraq? How is the reporting of the most recent operation in Iraq influenced by media techniques during the fighting in Vietnam? In light of such opinions, what might one expect from future films or television programs based on the Vietnam conflict?

The Film & History League, with the Literature/Film Association, will be holding its conference on "War in Film, Television, and History" during November 11-14, 2004, near Dallas, TX. Featured speakers include Adrian Cronauer, Lawrence Suid, Frank Thompson, and Jeanine Basinger. Full details on the location, registration procedures, and additional area topics can be found on the web site www.filmandhistory.org.  New deadline for proposals is 15 September 2004.

Chair for Vietnam Area:

Rachel Key

Oklahoma State University

If I ever make it on Wheel of Fortune, I'm sneakin' in my own vowels under my jacket.  No way I'm gonna pay $250, especially for a "U". --J.P. Styskal