SCREEN-L Archives

April 2004, Week 2

From:
clrobins <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 10 Apr 2004 06:24:04 -0400
CROSSPOSTED with apologies!

I am pleased to invite anyone interested in discourse on modern medieval media
to join MEMO (Medieval Electronic Multimedia Organization). Our web site is
located at
http//faculty.trumbull.kent.edu/english/memo/memo.htm.  TO JOIN THE OPEN FORUM
DISCUSSION GROUP, GO TO:
http//groups.yahoo.com/group/Medieval_Electronic_Multimedia_Organization/.

I would also like to enthusiastically invite you to our sessions at this
year's International Congress on Medieval Studies (Western Michigan
University).
NEO'S MEDIEVALISM I:
THEORY AND MODERN
MEDIEVAL MEDIA
Thursday (May 6) 10:00am (Bernhard 204)

NEO'S MEDIEVALISM II:
Medieval Video Gaming (A Workshop)
Thursday (May 6) 1:30pm (Sangren 2202)

While the idea of analyzing modern medieval media is far from new, our
organization recognizes a difference from works existing prior to the
Postmodern Era and works now bursting forth and away from the ideals of
Postmodernism altogether. Such concepts as knights in medieval armor with
six-guns instead of swords, or medieval music played with non-medieval
instruments suggest to us that medieval works are moving past the angst of
modernist medievalism and beyond the multi-tasking of postmodernist
medievalism to something that is less cynical and more playful. MEMO was
officially named during a dinner meeting at the Medieval Institute's 2003
International Congress on Medieval Studies, but several of us have been
banding together for quite a few years. We are a friendly group, interested in
the pursuit of understanding medieval electronic multimedia. Whether you are a
student, a scholar, a filmmaker, a musician, a computer technician, a gamer,
or Neo himself -- we hope you join us!

Carol L. Robinson, Ph.D.
Kent State University - Trumbull
4314 Mahoning Ave., NW
Warren, OH  44483
PHONE: (330)-675-8949
FAX: (330)-675-6610
WEB: http://faculty.trumbull.kent.edu/robinsoc/

"...time has always put the notion of truth into crisis."
-- Gilles Deleuze