SCREEN-L Archives

March 2004, Week 3

From:
James Monaco <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 15 Mar 2004 15:11:21 -0500
Here's a more useful definition from The Dictionary of New Media:

Eyeline Match
An editing rule: the alternation of two shots, the first showing a
character looking off-screen, the second showing what he’s looking at.
A rough sense of scale and distance is kept, but not necessarily
perspective—that is, every Point-of-View Shot is an eyeline match, but
every eyeline match is not necessarily a POV shot.