Help for PM-DOS Archives

PM-DOS Archives

PM-DOS@LISTSERV.UA.EDU

PM-DOS Home

PM-DOS  October 2003, Week 3

PM-DOS October 2003, Week 3

Re: No Packet Driver Found - Program Halted

John Zappe <[log in to unmask]>

Pegasus Mail for Dos Discussion List <[log in to unmask]>, John Zappe <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 20 Oct 2003 12:05:52 -0400

Not sure what you're expecting but DOS PPPD is suitable only for creating a
packet driver interface over a DOS dial-up.  You can do this either from DOS
or within Win95/98 but you can't do this from any of the WinNT systems
(because either the dialer or PPPD conflict with NT's HAL - "hardware
abstraction layer"); and you can't just install PPPD as a "shim" over an
existing winsock connection.

A packet driver interface is a remnant of the original ethernet networks.
DOSPPPD will create a packet driver interface over a DOS dialup.  Only packet
driver clients (like Pegasus Mail for DOS and a few other mail and browsing
utilities) will work over it.   The DOSLYNX port is probably kept up because
it is just that: a port of the unix LYNX browser.  Arachne is a GUI browser
which was kept up fairly recently and runs on a packet driver interface.  But
you're very limited here.

I suspect that what you are looking for is a "shim" which will create a packet
driver over an existing Windows "winsock" interface (and therefore work
within any windows environment with an established internet connection) but
I'm not aware of one....I looked for one unsuccessfully a few years ago.
I'm sure that could be done, but no one is going to bother as this software
is SO obsolete even if useful in a few niches.  If anyone knows of such a
"shim" or if you find one, I would appreciate getting the link.

If you're going to try setting up DOS PPPD, the best approach is to download a
suite of DOS internet utilities (try
http://www.fdisk.com/doslynx/bobcats/bcat-e07.exe).  DOSPPPD is included in
that package along with a dial-up utility and mail and browser internet
clients, but it's not a "user-friendly" setup.   This package is still useful
in parts of the world where they are using older hardware.  One of the most
obsolete parts of that package is the mail-transfer agent which does not
provide the authentication required by most SMTP servers these days.  Another
package, FDSMTPOP (available through the FreeDOS web site or my own website:
(http://eo.yifan.net/users/p/johnza/Fdsmtpop.zip) is a mail transfer agent
with built in SMTP authentication features.  I am the maintainer of the
FDSMTPOP utility.

I hope this has been of help.

John Zappe