SCREEN-L Archives

September 2003, Week 2

From:
"Larsson, Donald F" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 14 Sep 2003 00:15:56 -0500
Some examples of the first, although the shedding may either come as they enter an afterlife or recall/fantasize while dying:

Disney’s animated short about the life of Johnny Appleseed from MELODY TIME

Jeanette MacDonald and Nelson Eddy in MAYTIME

I seem to recall such an association at the end of DREAMCHILD (about the elderly Alice Liddell reflecting on her past friendship with Lewis Carroll)

GOODBYE, MR CHIPS?

Possibly Welles’ THE IMMORTAL STORY

Films about reincarnation and/or the Dalai Lama?—KUNDUN, LITTLE BUDDHA, etc.

Another that’s been a while—John Huston’s THE LIFE AND TIMES OF JUDGE ROY BEAN

the Robin Williams mess, WHAT DREAMS MAY COME

These are at least somewhat ambiguous but aim in a similar direction:

Fellini’s 8 ½

Bergman’s WILD STRAWBERRIES

Of course, there are many versions of the opposite (young-looking people who age immediately on or after dying—various Dracula and vampire films, versions of THE MUMMY, THE PICTURE OF DORIAN GRAY, LOST HORIZON, SHE, etc.), and there are twists on the subject in PRELUDE TO A KISS; arguably, DAMN YANKEES; DOWN TO EARTH (remake of HEAVEN CAN WAIT which was a remake of HERE COMES MR. JORDAN);

Don Larsson

"Only connect" --E.M. Forster
Donald F. Larsson
English Dept., AH 230