SCREEN-L Archives

June 2003, Week 4

From:
Jeremy Butler <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 24 Jun 2003 10:22:06 -0500
As reported recently in the Chronicle of Higher Education (see below), there is
currently a drive by film preservationists to reclaim the public domain via
legislation.  (The link below requires a subscription to the Chronicle.)

One aspect of this drive is an online petition advocating:

"We, the undersigned, while believing in the importance of copyright, also
believe in the importance of the public domain. We believe the public domain is
crucial to the spread of knowledge and culture, and crucial in assuring access
to our past. We therefore write to petition you to reconsider major changes
that you have made to the copyright system. These changes unnecessarily
threaten the public domain without any corresponding benefit to copyright
holders."

Although I'm extremely skeptical of the impact of any online petition, I have
signed this one--figuring, well, it can't hurt.  Apparently, as of 24 June,
15,037 others feel the same way.

To add your name, go to:

http://www.petitiononline.com/eldred/petition.html

----- Forwarded message from The Chronicle <[log in to unmask]> -----