SCREEN-L Archives

March 2003, Week 5

From:
Ben Halligan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 31 Mar 2003 12:34:11 +0100
>I'm currently on the hunt for films that depict, what I like to call, the
>"ape and enter" scenario, where a woman is lying in bed only to be
>startled by an ape-like creature breaking through into her bedroom.

>Can you think of any off the top of your head? So far I have Island of
>Lost Souls, the Murders in the Rue Morgue and King Kong. Any other film
>titles you can think of would be really helpful.

as luck would have it -- on BBC4 (twice) tonight:

22:30   Apes In Hollywood
From King Kong to Gorillas In The Mist, there are over 100 films starring
gorillas.

Stuart Maconie takes a guided tour of both the classic films and the
B-movies and reveals the hidden themes behind these films. From
thinly-veiled racist diatribes against inter-racial relationships to film
noir musings on gorillas as our dark subconscious, these films have it all.
But pride of place must go to Bride And The Beast, a B-movie classic from Ed
Wood, in which the angora-clad movie starlet elopes with her gorilla lover

http://www.bbc.co.uk/cgi-perl/whatson/search/daylist.cgi?service_id=4544&day
=Today#afternoon