SCREEN-L Archives

March 2003, Week 5

From:
"Larsson, Donald F" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 29 Mar 2003 23:49:18 -0600
I can't vouch for that exact bedroom scenario, but you might try GORILLA AT LARGE (1954) with Anne Bancroft, Cameron Mitchell, Lee Marvin, and Raymond Burr (but then how can one tell who's the gorilla and who isn't?).  The film does not seem to be available, alas, on video.

Burr pops up also in BRIDE OF THE GORILLA (1951), directed by Curt Siodmak.

There is also the succinctly titled APE (1976), which, alas, *is* available on DVD.

Also try the Marx Brothers in AT THE CIRCUS (1939)

BRIDE OF THE BEAST, co-written by no less (?) than Ed Wood himself, would seem to be required viewing.

BUDDY (1997) is a more contemporary possibility, with Rene Russo.

CAPTIVE WILD WOMAN (1943) with John Carradine as a mad scientist, monkeying around with human/gorilla transplants, directed by Edward Dmytryk.

Another human-ape brain transplant film that might be of use is THE MONSTER AND THE GIRL (1941).

Can anything be more relevant than MONSTERS CRASH THE PAJAMA PARTY (1965)?

David Warner gets into a gorilla suit to win back his wife, in MORGAN (1966).

Also check out such stuff as CARRY ON UP THE JUNGLE, several 3 Stooges shorts, several Warner Bros. cartoons, etc. Minnie Mouse is captured by a gorilla in Disney's PET STORE (1933).

"Only connect" --E.M. Forster
Donald F. Larsson
English Dept., AH 230
Minnesota State University