SCREEN-L Archives

February 2003, Week 2

From:
Jeffrey Clark <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 9 Feb 2003 16:03:01 -0500
A few reactions to Dan's remarks in the message below.

1. I'm glad Dan cites the Video-Cinema Films v. CNN case. It does help
strengthen the case for fair use in a realm (the Hollywood industry) that
has usually shaped over-cautious behavior. I agree with him, though, that
film publications do seem to remain cautious about use of film frame
enlargements without auhorization from the copyright holder. An informal
survey I did a few months ago gave me the impression that "web only"
publications are a bit more liberal--and may tend to consider frame images
to be okay without the author getting clearance (e.g., Kinoeye)--whereas
those publications also in print or print only (except through closed
access electronic subscription) tend in the conservative direction. This
was the result of checking with 9-10 of them. Your mileage may vary.

2. As for Dan's mention that "2002 copyright legislation now in effect in
the US allows university educators to put ENTIRE COMMERCIAL FILMs on edu
web sites, provided they are only accessible for students and for
instructional
purposes"... I'm puzzled. What legislation is this? If you're referring to
the TEACH Act--passed as part of the Dept. of Justice appropriations bill
and now incorporated into the appropriate secitons of the Title 17
copyright law--I'm afraid it isn't so. TEACH provisions are explicit about
limiting networked distance education use of such works as films (which
don't generally qualify as "nondramatic literary and musical works" that
can be transmitted wholesale) to "reasonable and limited portions". This
alone (there are other TEACH provisions that might obstruct) precludes the
practice that Dan suggests. Unless, of course, the fair use
provision--which isn't a part of TEACH's scope--can be creatively applied
to justify it.

Jeff
Jeff Clark
Director