SCREEN-L Archives

February 2003, Week 1

From:
Jessica Rosner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 5 Feb 2003 18:41:19 -0500
The ONLY case I know of DID not involve and academic use but
the publication Variety. It was a scary case because it was decided
by summery judgement that they could NOT use a publicity still which
ironically they HAD permission from the publisher of the still (MGM)
but NOT the owner of the film ( a cranky guy in New York) This MAY have been
overturned on appeal but I don't know.
I found that it is not so much any actual legal rulings but
a general skittishness among publishers that has lead to a rapid
increase in their refusal to use photos without written permission

--
Jessica Rosner
Kino International