SCREEN-L Archives

January 2003, Week 4

Date:
Mon, 27 Jan 2003 15:53:08 -0500
With all of the recent messages on programming/education/events around the Roe v. Wade anniversary, I thought some people might be interested in the following email we sent from WMM.  Apologies for any cross-posting.

Cheers!

******* WMM HONORS 30TH ROE VS. WADE ANNIVERSARY *********

In honor of the 30th anniversary of ROE vs. WADE, Women Make Movies is proud to highlight our extensive collection of films and videos on the history of the reproductive rights movement.  Now more than ever it is imperative to educate communities about the great strides made by women and men to ensure women's right to a safe and legal abortion.  As this issue now hangs in the balance, Women Make Movies encourages educators, community leaders and individuals to use media as a tool to promote a greater understanding on the importance of the landmark ROE vs. WADE Supreme Court ruling.

As part of our continued support of ROE vs. WADE, WMM is offering our REPRODUCTIVE RIGHTS COLLECTION at 5 titles for $495 (plus shipping and handling.)

Offer ends 04/30/03.

For a complete list of our films and videos on REPRODUCTIVE RIGHTS, please visit http://www.wmm.com/advscripts/subjectmain.asp?source=ctsubfrm.asp?recid=23.

*********** HIGHLIGHTED REPRO RIGHTS TITLES *************

JANE: AN ABORTION SERVICE, by Kate Kirtz and Nell Lundy
http://www.wmm.com/Catalog/pages/c410.htm
1996, 58 min
This fascinating political look at a little-known chapter in women's history tells the story of "Jane", the Chicago-based women's health group who performed nearly 12,000 safe illegal abortions between 1969 and 1973 with no formal medical training. As Jane members describe finding feminism, archival footage and recreations mingle to depict how the repression of the early sixties and social movements of the late sixties influenced this unique group.

FROM THE BACK ALLEYS TO THE SUPREME COURT AND BEYOND,
A 3-part series by Dorothy Fadiman, Daniel Meyers, and Beth Seltzer
http://www.wmm.com/Catalog/pages/c406.htm
This acclaimed series provides a comprehensive look at abortion in the United States. Combining interviews and archival footage, it covers the moving story of the fight for reproductive rights and legalized abortion. The series includes WHEN ABORTION WAS ILLEGAL: UNTOLD STORIES (1992), FROM DANGER TO DIGNITY: THE FIGHT FOR SAFE ABORTION (1995), and THE FRAGILE PROMISE OF CHOICE: ABORTION IN THE US TODAY (1996)

CHOICE THOUGHTS by Jacqueline Frank
http://www.wmm.com/Catalog/pages/c411.htm
1996, 10 min
In a witty mix of rare archival footage and sound bites from religious and political leaders, filmmaker Jacqueline Frank takes a fast-paced look at 100 years of the fight for birth control and legalized abortion. Featuring a concise overview of the work of Planned Parenthood founder Margaret Sanger, it illuminates how access to birth control became seen as a human right and how this dialogue continues around present day issues of choice.

WITH A VENGENENCE: THE FIGHT FOR REPRODUCTIVE FREEDOM by Lori Hiris
http://www.wmm.com/Catalog/pages/c149.htm
1989, 40 min
This urgent and timely film is a history of the struggle for reproductive freedom since the 1960s, reflecting the wider history of the contemporary women's movement. Rare archival footage and interviews with early abortion rights activists, including members of Redstockings and the JANE Collective, are intercut with young women who testify to the need for multi-racial grassroots coalitions.

For further information on our REPRODUCTIVE RIGHTS collection, please visit our website at www.wmm.com or contact us at:

Women Make Movies
462 Broadway, Suite 500
New York, NY  10013

Established in 1972 to address the under-representation and misrepresentation of women in the media, Women Make Movies is the largest distributor of women's films and videos in the world.  Women Make Movies is now celebrating its 30th anniversary. This yearlong series of events will celebrate the diversity, vitality, quality and breadth of creativity in WMM's catalogue of more than 500 films and videotapes. Anniversary festivities will consist of extensive exhibitions and retrospectives, both domestic and international; premiere screenings of new releases in upcoming festivals; and participation in noteworthy academic conferences. (www.wmm.com/news/anniversary.htm.)