SCREEN-L Archives

January 2003, Week 4

From:
Robert Inglis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 24 Jan 2003 19:16:12 +0000
>Does anyone know of studies that address the gendering of film
>technology, such as cameras?  I'm familiar with work like this in
>popular music (particularly on the electric guitar), but other than
>Mulvey's discussion of the camera's male gaze, I don't know of anyone
>who has specifically addressed filmmaking equipment as masculine and
>how this might contribute to females' reluctance to get involved in
>film production.

Fascinating question, but good luck with finding anything on the topic.
Studies on oculographics,i.e. in advertising,might provide a key to actual,
measured differences between male and female gazes, but as for qualitative
differences, there are fundamental differences at heart.  Probably the
difference between visual psychology of males vs. females is akin to the
philosophical differences between objectivity and subjectivity.  A more
subjective film technology would probably encourage female participation.
There are many forms this technology could take, of course.

http://www.tcf.ua.edu/ScreenSite