SCREEN-L Archives

January 2003, Week 2

From:
Leslie Kay Swigart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 9 Jan 2003 14:27:54 -0800
Dear Film/Video Colleagues:

I received this question this morning from one of our catalogers:

        "We got this 20th anniversary ed. of  E.T. - The
Extra-Terrestrial that came in a big, fancy (i.e., metallic finish) box
containing a hardcover book (192 p. : col. ill. ; 25 cm.), a fold-out
DVD container (also metallicized) with 3 DVDs and a CD of the soundtrack
(with a 4-p. (folded) interview with John Williams), a cardboard-encased
"Senitype" of a film frame from the movie, and a Certificate Of
Authenticity.
        "There's no copy for this yet, except for an earlier edition of
the book. Is there a question of special treatment of this (do we want
to put it - boxes, doodads and all - in Spec.Coll.), or shall I put it
in the regular collection (DVDs in 3 separate security cases (w/v.#s),
CD w/CD call#, book in Main, all w/x-refs to each other), in which case
what to do with filmframe and COA - do you want them?"

I'm the Film and Electronic Arts
liaison/bibliographer/instruction-person and usually my involvement is
limited to telling Acquisitions to buy video X.  Librarians in my
library don't do cataloging, because most of it is copy cataloging from
OCLC, so cataloging questions rarely are addressed to us (even if some
of us *wanted* to be cataloguers in library school mumble-de-mumble
years ago).

So, how do you all deal with the
Extra-Special-SuperDupper-AllSortsOfExtraStuff type VHS and DVD sets?

Do you catalog them as a unit?  Or separate out the elements?

If they are cataloged as a unit, do they go 'behind the desk' or 'out
with the other vids' (most of our non-class reserve items are on open
shelving)?

I'd love to be able to keep the whole thing together as a unit, and
"protect" it in Special Collections since Spielberg is one of our
graduates (after 30 years, but still . . .), but that kind of defeats
the purpose of buying the thing in the first place as we want people to
be able to view the film and all.

Thanking you all in advance for any advice, assistance, opinions, etc.,

Leslie Kay

--
Leslie Kay Swigart, Librarian
University Library, California State University, Long Beach