SCREEN-L Archives

December 2002, Week 2

From:
Robert Hunt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 9 Dec 2002 17:18:18 -0500
Unfortunately, the only way to see Kiss Me Kate in 3-D would be in a theatre that knows how to project the old dual-projector system...if there are any left. I remember going to a revival of "Dial M For Murder" in the early 80s in a theatre that had been multiplexed. The original theatre had been a single auditorium, but was now split in two with both auditoriums sharing a projection booth. The throw of the projector was therefore at a slight angle rather than directly parallel with the screen and the only way to get even a glimpse of the proper 3-d effects was to sit in the last row directly under the projector..
There was a brief vogue for 3-D broadcasts in the early 80s and "Kiss Me Kate" may have turned up at around that time, but I don't specifically recall it. None of the majors have ever tried a major video release of a 3-D film..or at least not since Universal released "The Creature from the Black Lagoon" and then quickly recalled it.
And speaking of 3-D, about 12 years ago I saw a music video by the Judds ("Love Can Build a Bridge") that was in a then new 3-D process that required glasses, but looked perfectly normal (albeit flat) without them. Does anyone know about this process? Can other 3-D formats be converted to it?
2 or 3 years ago, Nickelodeon experimented with some 3-D broadcasts using some kind of system that appeared to work based on color. In other words, the image was normal without glasses, but with glasses on, some colors appeared to have more depth than others... I didn't get to see much of it but it was an interesting idea....
Robert Hunt