SCREEN-L Archives

December 2002, Week 2

From:
Jessica Rosner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 11 Dec 2002 18:41:11 -0500
Well not that I would ever defend the Academy but keep in mind the
ENTIRE foreign film category is a joke that prevents ANY politically
sensitive film from being accepted even IF the Academy believes it comes
from a "real" country.
Firstly each country "officially" picks the ONE AND ONLY film to be
submitted by that country. If the film is controversial or the director
did not do enough brown nosing or Miramax is releasing a piece of shit from
the same country you are out of luck. Among the more infamous films NOT
eligible are RAN, EUROPA, EUROPA and virtually any controversial film from
China or Iran ( more on that later). My FAVORITE story about this rule is
that Miramax took out BIG ads pushing Il Postino for BEST PICTURE ( which
they got) by arguing that a "technicality" kept from being nominated in the
Best Foreign Film category. That "technicality " was that in rare bit of
good sense Italy nominated a MUCH better film L'America.

The SECOND and equally fun Academy rule is that the film MUST play at least
one week commercial run in its country of origin. Well great that knocks out
all those films BANNED in their own countries. In the case of "Divine
Intervention" Is it even POSSIBLE under current circumstances for this
film to play a commercial week in Palestine ( oops sorry we could only play
4 days before the city was put under 24 hour curfew)

And there are many other odd rules in this category involving the percentage
of the film actually attributable to a particular country which eliminates
films which may have been shot, & financed in multiple locations.

All in all , a RIDICULOUS category and no more so with Divine Intervention
than Ran
--
Jessica Rosner