SCREEN-L Archives

November 2002, Week 4

From:
Mark Nornes <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 22 Nov 2002 09:40:48 -0500
I am involved in a project here at the University of Michigan that is
reprinting materials relating to Japan. One of the series we're
developing is devoted to Japanese film. I am wondering if anyone out
there knows how copyright works for some unusual things like:

---Internal studio memoranda from the 1920s to the end of World War II.
Some of the records are from Toho, which of course is still around.
Others are from smaller studios that folded during WWII. Still others
are from studios that stopped in the war, but were revived under a new
name in the 1950s.

---Japanese language subtitling scripts for early 1930s Hollywood films.

---Film journals from the 1920s and 1930s. They are long out of print,
but the authors have died only recently. Does every article have to be
cleared with relatives?

Thanks for any clues...

Markus

A. M. Nornes
Program in Film and Video Studies
Department of Asian Languages and Cultures
University of Michigan
2512 Frieze Building
Ann Arbor, MI 48109-1285
Phone: 734-647-2094