SCREEN-L Archives

November 2002, Week 3

From:
Subeshini Moodley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 20 Nov 2002 08:48:58 +0200
Hi,

You should look at the Dutch film "A Question of Silence", directed by
Marlene Gorris. It's a radical feminist film that was made in the '80s.
I think that it may have been funded by an independent group called
Cinema For Women.

There was also a French film screened at my university's annual film
festival called "Baise Moi" that caused much controversy as it contained
extreme violence. It was directed by Virginie Despentes & Coralie
Trin-Thi.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Subeshini Moodley
University of Natal (Durban, South Africa)

>>> [log in to unmask] 11/19/02 07:51PM >>>
I'm teaching a spring course on "Violent Screen Women." Here are the
films
I have used in teaching this course before (or plan to add), but I'm
looking
for others that any of you might recommend as insightful or
significant.

Also, does anyone know if THE BROOD is available on VHS/DVD in the
United
States? It's only available in Britain according to IMDB.com.

Psycho [videorecording] / dir. Alfred Hitchcock
Alien [videorecording] / dir. Ridley Scott
Aliens [videorecording] / directed by James Cameron.
Alien3 [videorecording] / a film by David Fincher.
Alien resurrection [videorecording] /directed by Jean-Pierre Jeunet
Beloved, dir Jonathan Demme
The exorcist [videorecording] /Warner Bros. Pictures ; a William
Friedkin
film.
The Hunger [videorecording] / Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer ; directed by Tony
Scott.
Carrie [videorecording] / United Artists ; directed by Brian De Palma.
I spit on your grave [videorecording] / Cinemagic Pictures, directed by
Meir
Zarchi.
Sisters (De Palma, 1973)
The Silence of the lambs [videorecording]
Interview with a Vampire
Bram Stoker's Dracula [videorecording] / directed by Francis Ford
Coppola
Thelma and Louise
Fatal attraction [videorecording]
Basic instinct [videorecording] : directed byPaul Verhoeven.
Terminator 2 [videorecording] : judgment day / directed by James
Cameron
Death And The Maiden / [Videorecording] Roman Polanski
WITCHES OF EASTWICK, dir. George Miller (1987)
BLUE STEEL (1990, dir. Kathryn Bigelow)
MORTAL THOUGHTS (1991, dir. Alan Rudolph)
BLACK WIDOW (1986, dir. Bob Rafelson)
DEATH BECOMES HER (1992, dir. Zemeckis)
Diabolique (Les diaboliques), 1955. Director, Henri-Georges Clouzot
Diabolique [videorecording] / Directed by Jeremiah Chechik.
CROUCHING TIGER, HIDDEN DRAGON, dir. Ang Lee (2000)
HEAVENLY CREATURES, dir. Peter Jackson (1994)
HEATHERS, dir. Michael Lehmann (1989)
THE STEPFATHER, dir. Joseph Ruben (1987)
Extremities (Robert M. Young, 1986)
The Brood (David Cronenberg, 1979)

Mark Pizzato, PhD
Assoc. Prof. of Theatre
Dept. of Dance and Theatre
Univ. of North Carolina at Charlotte
Charlotte, NC 28223
Phone: (704) 687-4488
FAX: 704-687-3795

(visit www.quickdonations.com
  and give life with a click
   of your mouse)

----
To sign off Screen-L, e-mail [log in to unmask] and put SIGNOFF
Screen-L