SCREEN-L Archives

November 2002, Week 1

From:
Lang Thompson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 3 Nov 2002 21:45:07 -0500
>In the absence of good experimental material in DV I'd turn to rather
>experimental movies by Dogme 95 (Lars Von Trier, Vinterberg)

I thought there was a fair amount of good DV (not DVD) experimental work,
though since screenings are extremely rare in my area I'm relying on
outside info.  Jon Jost's DV work has been getting a lot of favorable
reviews and so, more visibly, has Sokurov's.  Notices also appear from time
to time in the Village Voice, Chicago Reader and other alternative sources.

Dogme 95 films don't seem particularly experimental, at least the ones that
have received the most exposure.  (A new book on Dogme and DV lists about a
dozen I'd never heard of before.)  Most have pretty conventional narrative
structures tied to a strict notion of stylistic realism, which is more
descriptive than a value judgement (the same is true to some degree of
Cassavetes).