SCREEN-L Archives

November 2002, Week 1

From:
Lang Thompson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 30 Oct 2002 22:38:23 -0500
>Re:Voir has released over 40 VHS cassettes of experimental films
>(http://re-voir.com), but have no plans to release DVD due to poor
>quality. The problem with MPEG compression, designed for natural and

But this would only apply to certain kinds of experimental films and
usually the ones that suffer from any kind of translation to video, not
just DVD specifically. I'd imagine a good bit of experimental maybe even
the majority would work just fine on DVD. But the claims in Pip's
statement have also been debated recently because some of this testing
appears to have been done a couple of years ago before many technicians had
learned to handle the medium fully, sort of the same situation as the very
earliest CDs which often had a harsh sound. More careful transfers and
planning can alleviate many of the compression problems (one example would
be the higher bitrates used on the Suspiria DVD to handle the film's use of
color, which limited the amount of extras that could be included). Not
that this will solve all the problems because some experimental work will
always be problematic by nature. As an example of the change in attitude
is the double-DVD set from anti-video ranter Stan Brakhage.