SCREEN-L Archives

October 2002, Week 4

From:
Scott Andrew Hutchins <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 25 Oct 2002 23:08:37 -0500
Twelve Monkeys was more financially successful than La Jetée, and quite a
good film in itself

Os Trapalhões e o Mágico de Oróz is a highly imaginative rethinking of The
Wizard of Oz I've been obsessing over for the past week since the DVD came
in the mail:

http://www.dvdworld.com.br/dvdworld.hts?+BR00296+acha

$13.98 including shipping, but it takes 6 weeks.  It has optional English
subtitles, and it's NTSC Region 0.  It was made in response to the living
conditions in Northeastern Brail, but is was made by a comedy team known to
parody other films.

The 1993 remake of _Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla_ is probably the best
Godzilla since the uncut original, though mind you, I've only seen it
subtitled on a technically illegal copy.  I've never seen it dubbed (nor do
I want to).

Peter Greenaway's _Vertical Features Remake_ is a film made to look like a
remake of a film that never existed.  It's on a collection priced for
institutions, but my library refused to order it, so I've never seen it.

Hyung-rae Shim's _Reptilian_ is a remake of _Yongary, Monster from the Deep_
that I've heard is pretty good.  I found Yongary boring, though.  And the
fact that it has an American cast probably doesn't help.

Stephen Herek's _101 Dalmatians_ was quite successful.

Baz Luhrmann's _Moulin Rouge!_

Ben-Hur (1959)
The Birdcage
City of Angels
Close Encounters of the Third Kind (though the original was barely released
and unavailable)
The Man Who Knew Too Much (the opposite was true for a while)
D.O.A.

IMDb is so liberal in its use of remake as to render it meaningless.  (For
example, _A Bug's Life_ is given as a remake of Seven Samurai, and new
versions of books are often deemed remakes.)

Scott Andrew Hutchins

Examine The Life of Timon of Athens at Cracks in the Fourth Wall Theatre &
Filmworks
http://mywebpages.comcast.net/scottandrewh

"In today's world, we're always forced to do what is insisted by others.
But why should money determine what we do in life... or what we are... or
what we become?  Even the rapport of our true relationships?"--Jean-Luc
Godard, _Le Mépris_.