SCREEN-L Archives

September 2002, Week 3

From:
Diane Lewis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 14 Sep 2002 10:28:15 -0400
In the course of looking at various Film and Visual Studies graduate
programs, as well as Art History programs, I find it interesting that in
the divide between such departments no distinctly developed field for the
study of the history and theory of photography has emerged, even as it is
rarely and inadequately considered by both disciplines.  I would be
interested in hearing comments about the forms of photographic theory (not
limited to the still, but also considering "photographic" as a material
description) that enter institutional discourse.  Where is the proper
place for cultural study of the photographic image?  What institutions
have established discourses on photography that collaborate with art and
film theory?  Or, am I misguided in thinking that since there are few
independent programs for the cultural study of photography, such studies
must necessarily be nourished under the auspices of Film Studies or Art
History?  Similarly, am I wrong to believe that appropriate consideration
to the history and theory of photography has not been developed in either
of these fields?

Specific examples or comments on particular institutions would especially
be appreciated.

Thank you,

Diane Lewis

http://www.tcf.ua.edu/ScreenSite