SCREEN-L Archives

September 2002, Week 2

From:
Ron Leming <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 8 Sep 2002 10:26:44 -0500
"can someone give me a good definition of a B-Movie?"

A 'B' movie used to be a lower budgeted film that was played as a second
feature to the 'A' movie when studios were also distributors and needed
material to accompany their features in the theatre. With the popularity
of Drive-in's, some producers like Sam Arkoff began putting together
double features comprised of two 'B' movies especially for play in the
drive ins, and aimed at the teenage audience. These 50s and 60s horror
and science fiction films are especially beloved of B movie fans, of
which I happen to be one. Gradually, the term B movie became much harder
to define, meaning everything from cult films to bad films to almost
anything at all except most big budget studio films. It usually
encompasses the genres of horror and science fiction especially, but
also splatter and slasher and gore. But one thing a B movie needs to
have to be considered top of the line is a certain cheesiness factor.
--
In the future, robot dealerships will probably give their models
friendly sounding names. But I'm guessing they'll stay away from "Rusty."

http://www.bonestructure.net