SCREEN-L Archives

September 2002, Week 2

From:
Scott Andrew Hutchins <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 8 Sep 2002 14:28:20 -0500
A B-movie is one intended for the bottom half of a double bill.  These were
usually low budget and given little thought by the studios. Often they were
unimaginative and formulaic, but sometimes a creative writer or director
could make a far more interesting film than the A-movie that played before
it.

The term has later been extended to any low-budget picture, particularly
disreputable "genre" pictures: crime, fantasy, science fiction, biker,
horror, teen, etc--the phrase "high concept" would apply here, before it was
coined.

Most B-pictures are made at A budgets today.

Scott Andrew Hutchins

Examine The Life of Timon of Athens at Cracks in the Fourth Wall Theatre &
Filmworks
http://mywebpages.comcast.net/scottandrewh

"I *hate* people who make 'education' sound like a dirty word."--Steve
Gerber, "Night of the Laughing Dead." _The Man-Thing_ #5, May 1974.