SCREEN-L Archives

September 2002, Week 1

From:
Jeremy Butler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 2 Sep 2002 07:28:17 -0500
I just recently received a notice for a new, online video-rental service
that specializes in international, African-American, and indie films.  I
can't vouch for their service, but they have an interesting list of films
and their rates sound reasonable.  There's no membership fee and the rental
costs are:

"The rental fee is $8.00 for one title, $6.00 each for two or more.
Roundtrip shipping charges are exactly what we pay, on average $6.00 for an
order of two VHS titles, $3.00 for two DVD titles."

What other services are folks using these days?

I've had good luck with NetFlix, which seems to be the most popular
DVD-rental source.  (They had a huge IPO recently.)  And Facets (
www.facets.org -- not dot-com) has been doing rentals on- and off-line for
almost 30 years.

Where do folks go for rentals (not purchases) of non-mainstream video?

http://www.tcf.ua.edu/ScreenSite