SCREEN-L Archives

August 2002, Week 3

Date:
Mon, 19 Aug 2002 11:46:18 EDT
In a message dated 8/18/02 3:04:23 PM, [log in to unmask] writes:

<< Currently, historicism and cultural studies hold pride of
place in the humanities. Theorists are lucky if they can find a place
in their institutions curriculum for a serious class on semiotics, for
example. >>

Frankly, I didn't even know this -- my own inadequacies in theory made me
fear the worst. At the same time, I believe that the REAL threats to film
scholarship:

1) lack of tenure for many academic positions being offered these days
2) the slashing of funds for 16mm/35mm exhibition both in film studies and
film societies
3) the abysmal sale of film books even of those with "mass" appeal
4) the number of important, truly "art" films that are not available in the
US and the lack of coverage by the press when they are released
5) the enormous amount of avant garde and documentary films that will be
"lost" due to new technologies like DVD
6) The number of film professors who don't travel to local film festivals
like Seattle, Chicago, San Francisco, Toronto or Vancouver (and many, many
more around the country) to see what's out there; know how to thread a
projector; know what's on TCM and watches them; disdains Cinefest, Cinecon
(this Labor Day weekend in Los Angeles) and Cinevent -- or worse, know about
them
7) The dismal number in video/DVD sales for important foreign and silent
releases by the colleges and schools (public library sales are far better,
believe it or not)

are far bigger threats than Jeremy.

Sorry for being so blunt, and obviously there are many of you out there who
don't fit the above description, but I have to go back to proofing royalty
statements to producers, and "accounting" always puts me in a harsh mood...

Dennis Doros
Milestone Film & Video
PO Box 128
Harrington Park, NJ 07640