SCREEN-L Archives

August 2002, Week 3

From:
Janet Staiger <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 19 Aug 2002 10:24:18 -0500
Dear Colleagues,

I hardly ever ever reply to the conversation on this list, but I really
want to in this case. When I first saw the Onion parody (on another list,
incidentally), I thought it was great. In fact, I copied it to include in
my reading packet for my "Theory and Literature" class which introduces all
of the film and video critical methods of textual and cultural analysis to
new grad students.

Seriously, we have to be able to laugh at our own work. In fact, like most
really good parodies, this one had such a grain of truth that it was
exceptionally insightful into how any part of our culture can be
analyzed. One of the first tasks I give to my new graduate media students
is the semiotic (or structural) analysis of some cultural space such as the
UT campus, a shopping mall, a local grocery store (Central Market--which
attracts tourists), or a movie theater. I plan to use the Onion parody to
both laugh and, then, ask about how we DO interpret cultural objects--ad
hoc-ly or with a thought-out critical method.

Also remember that only some senior scholars claim we should be in a
post-theory era. And some scholars, such as me, would argue that good
historians and cultural studies scholarship can only succeed with a firm
understanding of theory (and vice versa). And would consider herself a
theoretician (but able to laugh at herself from time to time).

Finally, thank you, Jeremy, for reminding me of how fun that article
was. I think it is fully appropriate to distribute these sorts of items
especially since they help us reflect on our profession. I regret that
you, Louis, might have felt "mocked," but I think lots of others of us who
do this sort of theory don't read this parody as vicious but
playful. That's not to say that it isn't hard for you where you are
teaching. Indeed, I have it easy at UT where theory is quite accepted and
expected. So I am sorry Louis that this reminds you of some obviously
painful experiences but I'm not sure your interpretation is that of others
(likely in a better situation to enjoy the piece). I hope that you can
find ways to include the theory you love in other classes that may seem
less amenable to its inclusion. And, having been in the field for about 25
years, I can assure you that cycles of privileges exist.

good luck, Janet