SCREEN-L Archives

July 2002, Week 1

From:
Donald Larsson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sun, 7 Jul 2002 10:49:30 -0500
Dennis Doros requests:

> The Dayton Art Institute is doing a film series celebrating the 100th year of
> the Wright Brothers' flight next year and would like suggestions for films on
> flight -- they can be meaningful, historical or just for fun (among the many,
> we also suggested Dumbo, for instance). I would love all your suggestions so
> I can send them on to them. Thanks!

If DUMBO, why not PETER PAN and ALLADIN too?  Others that at least
involve non-motor-powered flight: YOU CAN'T CHEAT AN HONEST MAN,
BALLOONATICS, the opening sequences of ANDREI RUBLEV and 8 1/2, E.T.,
THE ABSENT-MINDED PROFESSOR and SON OF FLUBBER

Most of the following are probably pretty obvious:
WINGS (winner of the first Academy Award for Best Picture), HELL'S
ANGELS, THE DAWN PATROL, etc.  Other WWI movies, including Laurel and
Hardy's FLYING DEUCES
FLYING DOWN TO RIO
PLANE CRAZY (the first Mickey Mouse cartoon--silent)
CHRISTOPHER STRONG, with K. Hepburn as an "aviatrix"
TO EACH HIS OWN (the early scenes)
THINGS TO COME (Raymond Massey as leader of a post-apocalyptic
rescue team, "Wings over the the World")
Besides THE DAWN PATROL, Howard Hawks also did several other flying
movies: an early silent--THE AIR CIRCUS, CEILING ZERO, ONLY ANGELS HAVE
WINGS, and AIR FORCE
Lots of other war movies, of course: FLYING TIGERS, FLYING
LEATHERNECKS, etc.
von Sternberg's JET PILOT
STRATEGIC AIR COMMAND and other Cold War films, including DR.
STRANGELOVE
ZERO HOUR
FLIGHT OF THE PHOENIX
MAP OF THE HUMAN HEART
THOSE MAGNIFICENT MEN IN THEIR FLYING MACHINES
All the AIRPORT movies, all the AIRPLANE! spoofs, TOP GUN and the HOT
SHOTS movies
FLY AWAY HOME

Episode of TV shows such as SKY KING

Don Larsson