SCREEN-L Archives

June 2002, Week 1

From:
Leo Enticknap <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Leo Enticknap <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 4 Jun 2002 14:45:20 +0100
A pedantic point I admit, but would you call both the female leads in Mildred Pierce 'strong' (which, if memory serves me correctly, was a criterion in the original question which started this thread)?  I thought that the whole point of that film was that the daughter is supposed to be precisely the opposite - i.e. without morals and only interested in money - and her mother (Joan Crawford) has to develop the strength to overcome this, hence the denouement in which she is unwilling to shield her daughter from the murder rap.  In other words, the ideological point being made is that one female lead is a lot stronger than the other.

A great film, though, and last year it was rereleased in the UK in 35mm prints which look sharper and more detailed than most release prints of new Hollywood features. Technology does not always progress with age.

Leo