SCREEN-L Archives

May 2002, Week 3

Date:
Wed, 22 May 2002 00:18:19 +0800
on 5/21/02 8:31 PM, "Leo Enticknap <[log in to unmask]>" wrote:

> 'rgb' asserts that:
>
>> Any theatre with a 35mm projector could project it with modification to
>> the head only.
>
> If you're talking about showing full-gate 35mm prints in a cinema, then
> that statement is quite simply not true.

Okay, here's the bottom line on the system for me. It's a vast improvement
over conventional 4-perf 24fps. The improvement is as vast as seeing a DVD
from when previously, you only saw VHS. And it isn't going to cost IMAX
prices to get that improvement.

Here's a document.

http://www.maxivisioncinema.com/maxivisioninfo2000.pdf

If it's technically impossible to do what they did, please tell me now. I
don't want to invest time into it if it doesn't work and I'm just being had.
I don't know if they addressed the points you outlined for projection. I do
know they claim to allow rental of the projection equipment for US$280 a
week. That's at 2000 prices. I've just asked the guy how much it would cost
for mod only today.

As for my original question, that apparently gets more significant. If this
new system is that new and that different, what am I looking at for
duplication prices, then?

> Leo

Jamo
+BIL