SCREEN-L Archives

May 2002, Week 3

From:
James Monaco <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 21 May 2002 19:13:32 -0400
This has been a very interesting thread. I was wondering how long it
would take someone to google maxivision.

Be sure to read Roger Ebert's piece at the maxivision site.

There is no doubt in my mind that Ebert is right and that in x years
Maxivision will be the format of choice for anyone serious about
film--both filmmakers and filmgoers.

As Ebert puts it, it is a "brilliant example of lateral thinking."

The question is the value of x.

Right now there is one prototype projector in San Luis Obispo and
inventor Dean Goodhill has had trouble raising cash. He's been
overwhelmed by the digital wave.

If there were projectors for maxivision--to answer the original
question--a print would cost 1.5 times as much as a traditional
print. There is no difference in the stock. You save 25 percent with
three-hole pulldown, but you multiply .75 x 2 for 48 fps.

James Monaco Harbor Electronic Publishing 212 777 5463
sales: 800 269 6422
How To Read a Film DVD-ROM on sale now at http://readfilm.com
Elvis Sinatra (Mostly) Live DVD-Video on sale now at http://ElvisSinatra.com
        Or visit http://HEPDigital.com for our complete list.