SCREEN-L Archives

April 2002, Week 2

From:
Melissa Williams <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 12 Apr 2002 08:09:42 -0500
Dear Mike,

"The gaze" is a concept originally articulated by Laura Mulvey, in her
1975 article, "Visual Pleasure in Narrative Cinema."  It's been
reprinted frequently because of its groundbreaking arguments, but the
reference I have for it is as follows:

Laura Mulvey, "Visual Pleasure in Narrative Cinema," in ed. P. Erens,
Issues in Feminist Film Criticism (Bloomington, Indiana:  Indiana
University press, 1990), 28-71.

Don't know if you're looking for someone else whose phrase
"to-be-looked-at-ness" is in response to Mulvey, but I'm guessing this
will at least get you going.

Hope that helps!

Melissa

Melissa Williams