SCREEN-L Archives

March 2002, Week 4

Date:
Tue, 26 Mar 2002 18:33:32 +0100
Yesterday I analysed Tsai Ming-liang's REBEL OF THE NEON GOD. I was quite
surprised when my Canadian official-release-looking video (purchased on
ebay) clocked in at 127 minutes. Both Time Out Film Guide and the IMDb both
give the running time as 106 minutes.

Can anyone shed light on the correct running time of this film? I had not
seen it for eight years, so I could not tell if there was 'new' material on
the tape. It seems rather far-fetched to assume that this is a bootleg or
some sort of special Canadian release from a print that subsequently was
cut before the release.

The film itself is quite good, but lacks the formal stringency and the
piercingy clear-eyed situations of the later films.

Regards,
Dag Sodtholt
film writer

http://www.tcf.ua.edu/ScreenSite