SCREEN-L Archives

March 2002, Week 4

Date:
Tue, 26 Mar 2002 12:45:44 -0500
********* WMM HIGHLIGHTS TRACEY MOFFAT ***********

Women Make Movies is proud to highlight the works by and about the critically acclaimed Aboriginal photographer and filmmaker, Tracey Moffatt.  One of the world's preeminent contemporary artists, Moffatt is known for her riveting film, video and photographic works that innovatively explore themes related to her Aboriginal identity and daringly push boundaries on subjects ranging from gender roles to race relations and colonialism.  As testament to her continued influence and recognition, Tracey Moffatt will present the keynote speech at the 2002 Annual Society for Photographic Education Conference, one of the nation's most respected academic meetings on photography and related visual media, on March 21st.

In our salute to Tracey Moffatt, we are featuring UP IN THE SKY: TRACEY MOFFATT IN NEW YORK, an engaging documentary that follows Moffatt as she divulges her artistic process to filmmaker Jane Cole on the days leading up to the opening of her major one person exhibition at the Dia Center for the Arts, New York in 2000.

As our feature title, purchase UP IN THE SKY at regular price and receive any other Tracey Moffatt film for $159, plus S/H.

Offer expires 05/31/02

********** WMM TRACEY MOFFATT COLLECTION ************

UP IN THE SKY, a videotape by Jane Cole
http://www.wmm.com/catalog/pages/c466.htm
1999, 29 minutes
"'Up in the Sky' scans the universe created by the provocative and talented photographer and filmmaker Tracey Moffatt, Australia's answer to Cindy Sherman and with even more of an edge, if that's possible. Jane Cole's documentary is an insightful portrait of Moffatt and her work, and an invaluable framework for anyone interested in the work of this cutting edge artist." Faye Ginsburg, New York University

NICE COLORED GIRLS, a film by Tracey Moffatt
http://www.wmm.com/catalog/pages/c105.htm
1987, 16 min
This daring film audaciously explores the history of exploitation between white men and Aboriginal women, juxtaposing the "first encounter" between colonizers and native women with the attempts of modern urban Aboriginal women to reverse their fortunes. Through sound, image, and printed text, the film conveys the perspective of Aboriginal women, while acknowledging the enforced silence that still shapes their consciousness.

NIGHT CRIES:  A RURAL TRAGEDY, a film by Tracey Moffatt
http://www.wmm.com/catalog/pages/c104.htm
1990, 19 min
On an isolated, surreal Australian homestead, a middle-aged Aboriginal woman nurses her dying white mother. Their story hauntingly alludes to the assimilation policy that forced Aboriginal children to be raised in white families. The stark, sensual drama unfolds without dialogue against vivid painted sets as the smooth crooning of an Aboriginal Christian singer provides ironic counterpoint.

BEDEVIL, a film by Tracey Moffatt
http://www.wmm.com/catalog/pages/c109.htm
1993, 90 min
Bedevil is the stunning debut feature from Tracey Moffatt and the first feature directed by an Australian Aboriginal woman. Inspired by ghost stories she heard as a child from both her extended Aboriginal and Irish Australian families, Tracey Moffatt has constructed a sublime trilogy in which characters are haunted by the past and bewitched by memories.

Also part of WMM's Tracey Moffatt Collection are three highly acclaimed videos that present Moffatt's stylized meditations on popular culture and female voyeurism, which include: ARTIST, a fast-paced journey through five decades of Hollywood's depiction of the artist and the creative process; LIP, an insightful collage revealing the narrow roles given to black actresses, namely that of the sassy maid; and HEAVEN, a playful short that turns the tables on traditional representations of desire to examine the power of the female gaze in the objectification of men's bodies.

Please check out our website at www.wmm.com for information on these and other titles.  You can also request a copy our 30th Anniversary catalogue or get information on other new releases http://www.wmm.com/catalog/newrelse/new_releases.htm.

*************** WMM CONTACT & ORDERING INFO ***************

For further information on this special offer and ordering information, visit our website at www.wmm.com.

Women Make Movies, 462 Broadway, Suite 502E, New York, NY  10013
P/212.925.0606 x360, F/212.925.2052
[log in to unmask] www.wmm.com

Women Make Movies is a non-profit feminist media organization which facilitates the production, promotion, distribution and exhibition of films and videos made by and about women. Celebrating our 30th year as the world's largest distributor of films and videos made by and about women, we provide a diverse collection of more than 450 titles to the viewing public and are supported in part by grants from such agencies as the MacArthur Foundation and the National Endowment for the Arts. Our catalogue is used by thousands of educational, community and cultural organizations annually.