SCREEN-L Archives

March 2002, Week 2

From:
Darryl Wiggers <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 11 Mar 2002 10:55:36 -0600
>Why is it that documentaries in particular are so hard to get?  I live in
>Rochester NY, home of the Eastman House and the Dryden theater and I can't
>get certain documentaries, notably Wintonick's _Cinema Verite: Defining
>the Moment_.  Nobody has it.

It's available from the NFB (nfb.ca) for $295 CDN (just under $200 U.S.).
Just to rent is about half that.

Now you know why nobody likes to carry documentaries. Of course it's a bit
of a chicken-and-the-egg debate. Does the fact that few people ever buy
documentaries drive up the price? Or does the price drive down
availability?