SCREEN-L Archives

February 2002, Week 4

From:
Greg Oguss <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 27 Feb 2002 19:52:55 -0800
Jane,

Jane Gaines has done some really interesting work on this issue surrounding
questions of performance and aesthetics in early African American cinema.
See her article "Scar of Shame: Skin Color and Caste in Black Silent
Melodrama" in Cinema Journal 26.4 (1987). Or her latest book which is
called (I think) "Fire and Ice."

Good luck,

Greg Oguss
USC School of Cinema-TV