SCREEN-L Archives

February 2002, Week 3

From:
Donald Larsson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 19 Feb 2002 14:43:46 -0600
Lou Thompson wonders:

> John's query about copyright raises a very basic question for me (a
> newbie)--how to you obtain or produce film stills? I'm thinking DVD
> makes this easier, but what have people been doing BDVD (Before DVD)?

If you mean "still images," such as frame enlargements, rather than
"production stills" that are usually photographed separately from the
actual shooting of the film scene, then there are camera attachments
that help to make such shots. There's a detailed discussion of the
process and materials needed in the online instructor's manual for
Bordwell and Thompson's FILM ART:
http://www.mhhe.com/socscience/art-film/bordwell_6_filmart/instructor_index.mhtml

The attachment that I use--a Fujica Macrocinecopy X--is no longer being
made, I believe, but you can probably find things like it online. When
I got a Canon camera, I had to add a ring adapter to attach it, but it
still works just fine. The one that Bordwell and Thompson describe
works for 35mm. and 16mm. Mine works for 16mm and 8mm.

My setup for taking the pictures has been pretty primitive (don't
ask!), but I've gotten good-quality slides from the process. When I've
asked distributors for permission to make slides for classroom use,
they have usually been very gracious about it. (I assume that doing it
for publication purposes would be more complicated.)

Don Larsson

Donald F. Larsson, English Department, AH 230
Minnesota State University
Mankato, MN 56001