SCREEN-L Archives

January 2002, Week 4

From:
michael aronson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 25 Jan 2002 14:01:38 -0500
I am working on a project that has to do with cameramen producing
"local views" in the 1910's -- when cameras were readily available
for purchase by independent companies and individuals, in my case
exhibitors.

However, I'm looking for information on when motion picture
cameras first became available for purchase on the open market
in the US.  If I had to guess, I would assume it might have been the
Cinématographe, or equivalent, sometime in the late 1890's but I'm
not sure where to confirm this.   Any leads/info about companies,
camera models and costs would be greatly appreciated.

Mike Aronson
University of Pittsburgh