SCREEN-L Archives

January 2002, Week 4

From:
Donald Larsson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 22 Jan 2002 09:33:42 -0600
Peter Warren replies:

> Mikhail; I don't know what movie period Field's poems cover, but "White
> Jungle Queen" could refer to Dorothy Lamour (she of the sarong) who made
> several jungle-background movies, such as THE JUNGLE PRINCESS(1936), HER
> JUNGLE LOVE(1938) and BEYOND THE BLUE HORIZON(1942). On the other hand, it
> might relate to Jane, "wife" of Tarzan, in the MGM/Weissmuller jungle movies
> of the 30s and 40s. Serials were very popular during this period, so maybe
> White Jungle Queen was the title of a serial.

It could also refer to "Sheena, Queen of the Jungle," a "female Tarzan"
who was the subject of a TV show in the 1950s and a new series just a
year or two ago (postdating Field's own death) as well as a crummy
movie in 1984.

Stiv Bators refers in an interview to  "Sweet Gwendolyn," a comic book
or strip which has the heroine battling with the evil "Countess":
http://deadboys.hypermart.net/articles.html

That would reinforce the notion that "Nancy" is a reference to Ernie
Bushmiller's comic strip.

You probably know this already, but there might be more in an article
by Field:
Author(s): Field, Edward
Title: The Movies as American Mythology
Source: Concerning Poetry 2, no. 1 (1969): p. 27-31
Additional Info: Bellingham, WA
Standard No: ISSN: 0010-5201
Language: English

Are there particular lines that might give further clues?

Don Larsson

Donald F. Larsson, English Department, AH 230
Minnesota State University
Mankato, MN  56001