SCREEN-L Archives

January 2002, Week 3

From:
Lou A Thompson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 21 Jan 2002 16:34:23 -0600
I wonder if Sweet Gwendolyn and the Countess is a reference to Oscar
Wilde's Importance of Being Earnest. There is Lady Bracknell and her
daughter Gwendolyn.

Internet movie database (www.imdb.com) is a great source for looking up
names of characters (among other things).

Good luck.

I don't know Edward Fields.

On Sun, 20 Jan 2002 21:28:30 -0500 Mikhail Gershovich
<[log in to unmask]> writes:
> Hello All,
>
> I'm doing some work on Edward Field's poems having to do with
> movies. I'm having trouble figuring out exactly which movies he's
> talking about in some of the poems in _Variety Photoplays_. I'm
> specifically interested in the following poems:"Sweet Gwendolyn and
> the Countess," "White Jungle Queen," and "Nancy" (which is
> presumably about the comics character but I'm not sure if there's
> ever been a movie based on her). Can anyone help?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Mikhail
>
> ----
> Online resources for film/TV studies may be found at ScreenSite
> http://www.tcf.ua.edu/ScreenSite

Lou Ann Thompson
Denton, Texas

"One Law for the Lion and the Ox is Oppression"--William Blake

http://www.tcf.ua.edu/ScreenSite