SCREEN-L Archives

January 2002, Week 2

Date:
Wed, 9 Jan 2002 13:18:02 -0500
>I understand 'grey market' to mean the retail sale of an object
>which is legal but against the wishes of the manufacturer.  For >example, if I had bought 200 'Star Wars' videos before they were >withdrawn in 1998, from a wholesaler and paying good money for them, >I would be committing no crime if I were to sell them in a shop now, >despite the fact that Lucas would not want me to.

Maybe this is starting to move off topic but:  "Grey market" might have a shifting meaning but this example would not qualify.  Not only is such reselling completely legal (nothing grey about it) as the post pointed out but it would mean that huge numbers of used book, record and video stores/dealers would be grey market which clearly would make the term meaningless.  Something that many of you will be familiar with is that textbook publishers go to great lengths to prevent textbooks from being resold but that doesn't mean that most American universities are operating grey market bookstores because they are reselling (legally) textbooks.

http://www.tcf.ua.edu/ScreenSite