SCREEN-L Archives

January 2002, Week 1

From:
Donald Larsson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 7 Jan 2002 11:54:02 -0600
Stanley Conrad wonders:

> Does anyone know whether a list of the films most frequently broadcast on TV
> has been compiled, somewhere, by someone?
>
> I presume individual broadcast networks could come up with lists of their
> own most-frequents, but is there a way to get a more global picture?
>
> I suspect the question needs some kind of limits (e.g. geographic) so I
> presume we're really interested in American film, broadcast by U.S.
> television stations/networks.
>
> We're totally stumped here as to how we might proceed to track this info
> down ...

I'm not sure how to track it down either, but a few thoughts might help
to set some limits:

Network (ABC, CBS, NBC) broadcasts of "Movies of the Week" in place of
regular series programming only began in the mid-1960s, aside from the
occasional serialized Disney film on the various versions of the "World
of Disney," and such special events as the annual showing of THE WIZARD
OF OZ.  Aside from a few pre-cable "super-stations" like WOR, WGN and
WTBS, I suspect that most programming of the most film showings will
turn out to be local, up until the 1970s or later.  Of course, with the
proliferation of cable and satellite channels (including subscription
channels like HBO and pay-per-view), the question becomes a very
different one!

Local stations might broadcast the same film several times a week.  One
NY station had an afternoon "Million Dollar Movie" that showed the
same film at least once each day, Monday-Friday.  I suspect similar
multiple broadcasts occured in other large markets.  Local stations,
especially independents, might have two or three or more films
broadcast in a day. Even network affiliates might have more morning,
afternoon, and late-night film shows in the era before network
programming took up most of the day and night.

For a long time, the most frequently broadcast films were likely to be
older movies whose copyright had lapsed (which accounts for the sudden
proliferation and new popularity of IT'S A WONDERFUL LIFE by the late
1960s).  Horror and SF films, B Westerns (including such serial heroes
as Hopalong Cassady, Roy Rogers and Gene Autrey), Tarzan movies, etc.
often had their own special niches, such as the "Monster Chiller Horror
Theater" parody by Second City TV, in many individual markets.

And if you want to count short films, then Popeye cartoons and the
Three Stooges may be in front of everything else!

Don Larsson

Donald F. Larsson, English Department, AH 230
Minnesota State University
Mankato, MN  56001