SCREEN-L Archives

December 2001, Week 1

From:
Donald Larsson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 3 Dec 2001 11:56:32 -0600
Astrid Boeger wonders:

> I'm wondering what there is to know about the animated propaganda and
> military training films done by the Disney corporation during World War II.
> I'm looking for any secondary sources, but am also curious if anyone has
> worked on this topic or has had access to the films themselves.

If you have access to it, the FILM LITERATURE INDEX should have a
number of individual articles listed over the years. In addition,
some relevant sources include:

Richard Shale, DONALD DUCK JOINS UP (UMI Research Press, 1982)

One of the chapters in Steven Watts, THE MAGIC KINGDOM (Houghton
Mifflin, 1997). Check other standard works for individual chapters as
well.

Some of the films have been available at one time or another (THE THREE
CABALLEROS and SALUDOS AMIGOS, which were made to promote Roosevelt's
"Good Neighbor" policy in South America during the war are at least
tangentially related and are available). Other things, such as DER
FUHRER'S FACE and VICTORY THROUGH AIR POWER, might be available in
compilations or for sale or trade.

If you use a search engine like Google and enter Disney and "World War
II," you'll get many hits, including a number devoted to ancillary
materials like insignia and bomber "nose art."

Don Larsson