SCREEN-L Archives

November 2001, Week 5

From:
Donald Larsson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 29 Nov 2001 12:06:05 -0600
Carol Donelan requests:

> A colleague of mine is looking for films with plots featuring cultural
> transition(s), i.e. someone going to a foreign country, or someone coming
> home, and in both cases having to make some cultural adjustments and/or
> resisting changes.
>
> Any ideas?

Besides films already mentioned:

TIME AFTER TIME (HG Wells in 20th century US)
LA JETEE, THE 12 MONKEYS
THE EMMIGRANTS/THE NEW LAND (especially the latter)
EL NORTE
COMBINATI0N PLATTER
Med Hondo's SOLEIL O (but I don't know about availability)
Bogdanovich's DAISY MILLER, from Henry James' novel
PORTRAIT OF A LADY
Merchant/Ivory's: THE EUROPEANS, THE BOSTONIANS, A ROOM WITH A VIEW
the final portion of MALCOLM X, with his trip to Mecca and after
PASSAGE TO INDIA
Renoir's THE RIVER
7 YEARS IN TIBET
THE UGLY AMERICAN
THE QUIET AMERICAN
APOCALYPSE NOW
GOOD MORNING, VIETNAM
COMING HOME
BORN ON THE FOURTH OF JULY
Hitchcock's REBECCA
THE THIRD MAN
BREAD AND CHOCOLATE (an Italian in Switzerland)
COLD FEVER (a Japanese businessman in Iceland)
Herzog's STROSZEK
HOW TASTY WAS MY LITTLE FRENCHMAN, from Brazil
Kuleshov's THE EXTRAORDINARY ADVENTURES OF MR. WEST IN THE LAND OF THE
BOLSHEVIKS
In the same country, but very different cultures: WALKABOUT
Ditto for WITNESS
Dated in a number of ways, but WALK DON'T RUN (Cary Grant's last film)
might be of interest
ANNA AND THE KING OF SIAM/THE KING AND I
THE GODFATHER, Part II
SAMMY AND ROSIE GET LAID
HESTER STREET
AVALON
Several other films about immigrants in America:
MOSCOW ON THE HUDSON
COMING TO AMERICA
FOUR FRIENDS
AMERICA, AMERICA
FAR AND AWAY
RAGTIME
He doesn't do all that much adjusting--but THE LIMEY might be of
interest too
SNATCH

Don Larsson