SCREEN-L Archives

November 2001, Week 2

From:
Peter Rollins <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 10 Nov 2001 16:25:25 EST
CALL FOR PAPERS
COLD WAR CONFLICTS
    (For Southwest/Texas Popular Culture/American Culture
    Associations meeting in Albuquerque, 13-17 February, 2002)
www.swtexaspca.org

We welcome proposals for papers on all aspects of popular culture and the
Cold War (as well as the hot wars it engendered). Topics might include:

The ways in which the wars in Korea and Vietnam were portrayed in the
mass media (newspapers, film, literature, and television).

The influence of Cold War tensions in shaping political life and
domestic culture on both sides of the Iron Curtain.

We encourage papers dealing Europe and Asia as well as the United States.

The political and cultural forces which gave birth to the Cold War and
brought it to an end.

The impact of the end of the Cold War on any aspect of popular
culture.

See recent issues of Film & History for examples of our interests
and methods (vol 31.1&2). We are very interested in the motion picture
legacy and the Cold War.

The 2002 meeting of the Southwest/Texas Popular Culture Association
will be at the Albuquerque Hilton near the U of New Mexico campus.
SW/Texas PCA has a variety of special events planned for the meeting, and
the Albuquerque region offers a rich variety of museums and historical sites
devoted to Southwestern life and culture. Details about the meeting, the site,
and travel, can be found on the conference website at:

http://www.swtexaspca.org/

Please send or e-mail a 200-250 word paper proposal and a brief
biographical note by December 10, 2001 to:

Philip J. Landon
128B Westerly Rd.
Plymouth, MA 02360

Phone: (508) 746-7703