SCREEN-L Archives

October 2001, Week 2

From:
Donald Larsson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 9 Oct 2001 11:54:15 -0500
Robert Sklar's MOVIE-MADE AMERICA is a very accessible text for
beginning undergraduates, revised in 1994.

The PBS series THE AMERICAN CINEMA had some problems, but individual
episodes and clips might be useful. Better yet is the accompanying
text AMERICAN CINEMA/AMERICAN CULTURE, by John Belton. You might also
want to look at MOVIES AND MASS CULTURE, edited by Belton.

Don Larson

On Mon, 8 Oct 2001 13:26:40 -0400 Ellene Phufas <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> I will be teaching a course called American Film after having taught
> Intro to Cinema for several years. Can anyone recommend a strategy for
> such a course? I have always focused on the technical and directorial
> contributions of films but I would like to try a different focus, the
> relationship between US cultural history and films perhaps?
> Any suggestions would be most welcome including a recommendation for a
> text and films.
> Eleni Phufas
>
> ----
> Screen-L is sponsored by the Telecommunication & Film Dept., the
> University of Alabama: http://www.tcf.ua.edu

Donald F. Larsson, English Department, AH 230
Minnesota State University
Mankato, MN 56001

http://www.tcf.ua.edu/ScreenSite