SCREEN-L Archives

October 2001, Week 2

From:
Anthony Rocha <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 8 Oct 2001 12:54:41 EDT
Hello:

I would say in terms of narrative he is not a very strong director. So try
the Manchurian candidate WHICH had some visual gadgets but the narrative was
mixed and weak although it is a classic.

Visually he seems to be in this group that is older but very adaptive. His
first films were shot like Pakula, Lumet pretty straight forward. However he
learned in time and it seems more like "Jakob's Ladder" and someone like
Lynne.

He seems very influenced by MTV. The most interesting elements of his work on
the change of stock and stark change of lenses throughout single scenes.
Sodderbegh does this too.

I would look for in his modern work filmmakers more interested in catching
the moment rather than concerned with technique. However I do not believe
this is what he is doing BUT it looks similar to that.

Good luck,