SCREEN-L Archives

September 2001, Week 2

From:
Scott Andrew Hutchins <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 13 Sep 2001 12:22:59 -0500
Jean Renoir's _La BĂȘte Humaine_ has a scene in which Jean Gabin's character is shown smoking in front of a sign that says "Pas Fume"
(No Smoking).

A really bad late '40s TV show called Marden Kane, Private Eye, had these laughably silly ads for Sano cigarettes incorporated into
the script. It includes an almost Freudian-sounding description of a son's smoking habit's and his father leaving Sano (the brand
that sponsored the show) on his dressing table.

Scott