SCREEN-L Archives

August 2001, Week 3

From:
Donald Larsson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 17 Aug 2001 14:12:22 -0500
Ron Wilson requests:

> I am looking for an exact distibution date (U.S) for Max Ophuls LOLA MONTES
> (1955) released in the U.S. as THE SINS OF LOLA MONTES.  It was distributed
> as far as I know by 20TH CENTURY-FOX.  Any help would be much appreciated.

As I'm sure you already know, LOLA MONTES had a very troubled history.
I don't have full information on it, but it was first released as LOLA
MONTES in France in 1955.  It flopped, and the original film was pared
down to 90 minutes by the producers, released in 1960 as THE FALL OF
LOLA MONTES in the UK and THE SINS OF LOLA MONTES in the US.  By 1969,
it had been restored to 110 minutes, which is apparently the version
used by Fox Lorber for its current DVD.

For further release information, I would check the indexes for THE NEW
YORK TIMES and VARIETY for those years.  Good luck!

Don Larsson