SCREEN-L Archives

July 2001, Week 3

From:
Jeremy Butler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 20 Jul 2001 06:39:19 -0500
INITIAL CALL FOR PAPERS FOR 2002 CONFERENCE
The Society for Cinema Studies announces its Call for Proposals for the 2002
Conference, May 23-26, in Denver, Colorado.

PLENARY:  Cinema Studies in a New Media Age

The Society of Cinema Studies was created in recognition of the social,
aesthetic, and economic importance of the cinema to the history and culture
of the twentieth century.  As a new century begins, the medium of "film" has
become embedded in the new technologies that surround it.  The discipline of
"cinema studies" was defined around the history and theories of the
cinematic and the perimeters implicit in its name have delimited its objects
of study.  In the last two decades, "Cinema Studies" has recognized these
constraints as it expands to include other moving image media -- video,
television and (now) computer technologies. The rapid and global reach of
new media -- the internet, television, video, the digital arts -- challenge
us as scholars and teachers to find new ways to understand how all media
mediate our understanding of culture and society.  As our visual field has
been reconfigured by many new technologies, we view "cinema" on an expanded
field of screens and in an expanded variety of production and delivery
formats.  We must add computer screens (and digital technologies),
television screens (and interactive video formats) to our conceptualization
of the cinema, its spectators and its screens.

We look forward to workshop and panel proposals that address issues raised
by the plenary -- as well as those that engage a wide range of research in
film and media studies.

PROCEDURES FOR SUBMITTING PROPOSALS

To present a paper, you must be a member of SCS.  Further information about
membership and the conference is available at:

http://www.cinemastudies.org

There is one deadline for submission of proposals: OCTOBER 1, 2001. All
proposals be received by this date and use the standard abstract form--as
is found at:

http://www.cinemastudies.org/conf.htm

Send to:

Jane Dye, SCS Administrative Coordinator
Society for Cinema Studies
302 Old Science Hall
640 Parrington Oval
University of Oklahoma
Norman, Oklahoma 73019-3060

E-mail FOR INQUIRIES ONLY (proposals may not be submitted via e-mail), may
contact Jane Dye at: [log in to unmask] Please put SCS PROGRAM in
the subject head.