SCREEN-L Archives

June 2001, Week 1

From:
James Monaco <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 6 Jun 2001 12:44:14 -0400
>What's already happening is the up/download of movies to the movie theater
>via satellite - no more need to duplicate film stock. Does anyone in
>this group
>have more info on the supposed digitalization of the film-making process?
>
>Dave Skreiner
>Editor, DVD-Home Magazine (Germany)

Dave,

There is a lot of info on digital filmmaking in the book  The
Dictionary of New Media available at http://HEPdigital.com or Amazon
and also available online at http://Readfilm.com All the necessary
terms are explained and cross-referenced.

There are a number of articles and essays on the subject on the
DVD-ROM How To Read a Film, available from the same sources.

There is no doubt Hollywood is going digital. Ask Kodak!

A personal note: People are impressed with digital video for the same
reason they were impressed with digital audio: it is so "clean!" But
to me, both are cold and empty Greshamite subterfuges next to analog
audio and film. That may change in ten or twenty years with increased
bandwidth. By then we will have spent half a century digitizing
images and sounds and at last approach the quality we had with the
19th-century analog technologies we started with!

As for the introductory "film" course, there's no doubt you start
with a Mini-DV or DVCam camera and a G4 Mac with Final Cut Pro and
iDVD. Total cost probably less than $5,000 with your educational
discount. Your students will likely never see a "film" camera anyway,
except in a museum.

The problem is that we don't have a word that encompasses all
audio-video technologies so we still call it "film" and that confuses
many people.
--

James Monaco     Harbor Electronic Publishing     212 777 5463
sales:800 269 6422
How To Read a Film DVD-ROM on sale now at http://readfilm.com
Elvis Sinatra (Mostly) Live DVD-Video on sale now at http://ElvisSinatra.com